Translate

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Some interesting theories about risk

(An excerpt from my personal rant.)
I’ve thought a little bit about how seeing situations without statistics can lure people into either paranoia or a false sense of security. For example, what if I was to pick a local delivery job, and I wonder which one would I be safer with; Armored car while open carrying a Kel-Tec PLR-16/custom Arsenal SAM7K pistol (with 100 round Surefire magazine for the PLR or 40 or 50 round magazine for the AK) or custom Glock 20/21 (perhaps converted to 9x25mm Dillon with 30 round magazines) (and perhaps a long gun or 2 in the truck), or regular delivery while conceal carrying a Springfield XD-S 9 or S&W Model M&P340 CT/Ruger LCR .357 (and if possible, a Kel-Tec KSG or more likely, a Kel-Tec SU-16C snuck into a bag). For example, let’s say that I am not a deep thinker, and I am choosing rather to work for Garda armored (sorry Dunbar & fellow competitors) or UPS (sorry FedEx), on the basis of safety. And if I don’t think, I would chose Garda because I get to open carry a full sized handgun, which gives me a better sense of security (no pun intended). But, statistically speaking, I am probably better off working for UPS because I am willing to bet that regular delivery drivers are targeted less often than armored car workers (statistically speaking). Sure, if I was in a direct fight, open carrying the weapons I described would be better. But how often does it even happen?
Another somewhat related case is getting scared without checking statistics. When I was a little kid, from watching too many murder investigation shows (plus action movie advertisements), I was paranoid into thinking that literally at any second there would be tatted up bad guys brandishing assault rifles (like what Hollywood shows), mostly M-4’s and AK-M’s. But in reality, as I said before, that is quite rare, and I felt safer after actually doing the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are more than welcome on this blog! Please feel free to share your 2sense below.

ANYONE can post a comment here! There is not even word verification to hassle with, either!

By the way, if you know or have an idea as to why people rarely comment on this blog, please let me know!

Do you like my "Read if you're making assumptions about me" post?